Wednesday, January 3, 2018

How long it takes a Hacker to notice your website?

Like most small business owners, I did all of the SEO things one does when they have a new business website up and get noticed by search engines and clients.  I set up my descriptions, keywords, signed up for Google My Business, and created a profile on Manta.  With my website up for only 1 day, per Google Analytics I got my first visitor.  Can you guess from where?  You guessed it, Russia.  Not really part of my geographic profile, but what the heck, a website visitor, is a website visitor.  The individual had spent about a minute on each of my pages.  That’s great, I’m getting noticed the first day my website is up. 

And then on day 2, it happened.  I had an e-mail in my Spam folder.  I looked at the subject line, and sure enough, it was a phishing e-mail.  The e-mail was in the name of an individual and the subject line read “Your Monthly Statement document is ready for review”   Keep in mind, my website had been up for only 2 days.  My website and the listing websites were the only places my newly created company e-mail was posted.  And when I hovered my cursor above the displayed e-mail address, yes you guessed it, it had a .ru domain. 
A week later I got my first spear phishing attempt.  This e-mail was also displaying the name of an individual and the subject line read; “Please DocuSign: Order Form for tjmprofessional.com” and the body stated; “ accounting@tjmprofessional.com has sent you a document to review and sign. “.  Ironically, I don’t have a separate generic e-mail address called “accounting”.  But to give credit to the hacker, it did look more enticing and believable.  And yes, again the e-mail had a Russian domain.

So if you are wondering if your a 6 month old startup, or your 50 year old family business is at risk for a cyber attack?  The answer is most definitely "Yes!".  My business was found, researched, and attacked within 2 days of its online existence. 

Now if only my clients could develop these hacker skills, and find my website as easily.  Who would need to pay for Google AdWords?   J


No comments:

Post a Comment